Sunday 14 March 2010

The Hobbit

Another book down - I've just finished The Hobbit. I think I made a token effort at starting this years ago and didn't get very far. I have very little interest in this as a genre, which is why I have never read any LOTR, or seen the films. However, one of the interesting things about this challenge is the removal of my personal taste from the decision as to what I read next, and it is definitely forcing me to widen my literary horizons.

I don't really know what to say about the Hobbit. It's very readable, although I have to confess to only skim-reading the songs, but I find it difficult to care about the outcome of a story that doesn't have any people in it. The depictions of dwarves, elves and goblins exactly mirror the standard literary definitions of those species, although I don't know if that's because Tolkien coined these characteristics. My ignorance showing itself, I think. If one feels so inclined, there are some general principles, or life lessons, that can be drawn from the Hobbit - the pursuit of money above all else erodes relationships & leads to conflict; a higher cause can unify parties previously divided by conflict over riches; the power of encouragement and affirmation in bringing about change (Bilbo believing that he could be useful and take the lead, because Gandalf has told him so); it's always a bad idea to leave the path in the woods; travelling down a river in a barrel will always be an uncomfortable experience.

The theme of food, or the absence thereof, runs throughout, as Bilbo learns that it's possible to shake the habit of a lifetime and survive a day or more without regular tea and cakes - perhaps a lesson we could all do to learn.

Overall - it is a book aimed at children, and it would be unfair to write it off for not being very deep!! It was easy enough to read, but I can't see myself becoming a big fan of the genre. I think I might finish off Crime and Punishment before I attack the rest of the LOTR books.

May your beards never grow thin. And remember, according to Gandalf, just because you had a part in making it happen, it doesn't mean that it isn't the fulfilment of a prophesy!

No comments:

Post a Comment