Monday 26 July 2010

Oops...but a little bit of progress

I'm quite ashamed to admit that my progress through the list has kind of halted in July. It's my usual approach to long term tasks - a burst of enthusiasm followed by extreme slacking off. I'm not a completer-finisher any more - I think I may have been once in the dim & distant past! However, a long break and resurgence is as good as a new task, and so I will shortly be back with renewed enthusiasm!

I think I went wrong in two ways: first, believing that I could sit and read Shakespeare plays on my own at home. It's not going to happen, and I'm going to have to find another way of doing this. I'm thinking a Shakespearean version of a book group. Second, I finished one book without lining up the next one. The only list books that I have in the house, as yet unread, are Ulysses and a Gabriel Garcia Marquez - can't remember which one - and neither of these grabbed my attention. I am constitutionally incapable of not having a book on the go so have been revisiting Philippa Gregory, with a sense that I am capable of greater things! However, some time alone with Amazon helped with my supply issue, and I now have Gone With the Wind, Dune and Cold Comfort Farm on the way. In a brief plug, could I also say how fantastic the second hand option is on Amazon? I got the above three for a total of £9 including postage - charity shop prices without having to trawl through 7000 Maeve Binchies! (is that the plural of Binchy? It looks wrong).

Anyway - they have been dispatched, so I should be back in the reading saddle by the end of this week, with Philippa Gregory safely back where she belongs...handed on to someone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment