Sunday 15 August 2010

Dune

The next project was Dune, by Frank Herbert. I interpreted this as being the novel, Dune, rather than the whole series which goes under that name - apologies if this is cheating but we would be waiting rather a long time for me to finish the list if I have to read them all.

Dune is acclaimed as a seminal work of science fiction, and I can see why. The world is convincing, well-thought out, and totally different to life as we know it. The world is placed on a planet where water and "spice" are the commodities - or, actually, necessities - of highest value, and it is seen through the eyes of characters who come from a planet of plentiful water. This allows the reader to feel the shock and acclimatisation experienced by the characters as they adapt to the different economic and, more significantly, cultural behaviours driven by the water supply.

A mark of successful science fiction is the seamless suspension of disbelief - everything that happens within Dune requires this suspension, whether it is the highly developed communication/observation techniques, the transition from one Reverend Mother to the next, weapons and transport, scientific research and methods...the list goes on. I would say that Dune is very much successful in this regard - the principles and world are so well thought through that there is nothing to jar the reader back into reality. I found the characters slightly unconvincing - each and every character operated with a constant awareness of their role in society, and the "baddies", for want of a better word, are little more than caricatures. However, I think this novel/series is far more about creating the alternate reality and global events, than it is about character.

If you have read Lord of the Rings a number of times, and you love it, I would venture to suggest that you would also enjoy Dune. In fact - you've probably already read it. I won't be rushing to read it again, or to read subsequent episodes in the series, but this is a reflection on me and my lack of interest in sci-fi rather than the quality of the writing. This is very well-written, and I have read it within a couple of weeks (pausing along the way for a quick Jane Green pitstop) which, given the level of interest I have in the genre is very much a compliment to Mr Herbert...but I do find it difficult to care about what happens to the characters in this kind of novel (partly because life is so cheap) and, as I've already discovered in the pages of this blog, it is caring about what happens next that drives me to read!

Gone with the wind next - expect a long radio silence and perhaps some interim posts...

No comments:

Post a Comment