Sunday 29 January 2012

Things that bug me about London

I've passed through London twice this weekend on my way to the south coast. Last time I went on the tube I was 8 months pregnant and it was the height of summer. This time, I was relieved to note that I'm back up to full pace again, and transformed back into a londoner as I stepped off the train. Phew. However, it did lead me to thinking about the things that annoy me when passing through the capital.

- people who don't move at "london pace". I.e. the ones who step off tube trains and stand stock still, blocking the doors; those who meander through the corridors of the tube 4 abreast with no awareness of those around them; those who don't appear to realise they'll need their ticket until they're actually standing blocking the gate...you get the idea.

- people who don't organise their luggage, or who carry more than they can manage. We've all seen them - a suitcase, slightly too heavy to be able to carry it, a couple of other bags, clutching a book or magazine that doesn't seem to fit any of the bags. They look as though they're on the brink of dropping it all, and every staircase, escalator or ticket barrier requires a complete stop and redistribution of luggage. I appreciate that sometimes people will need to travel with a lot of luggage, but this type don't appear to have given any thought to how they're going to navigate the inevitable steps etc.

- people who invade your personal space. You've tucked yourself out if the way into a corner, perhaps awaiting the announcement of a platform number, and people come & stand practically on top of you, or pass by so close that you might be invisible.

So, yeah, people. I think I should become a recluse.

In other news, Rachel has survived her first weekend alone with Martin (with grand-parental assistance) and I am going to attempt to finish the 3 musketeers on the remainder of the journey. Bye for now, London.

No comments:

Post a Comment