Wednesday 17 February 2010

Grapes of Wrath

I love how books capture the imagination. I've told a few book-loving friends about my mission, which has instantly sparked list comparisons, recommendations, offers of books to borrow, and a couple of copy-cat projects (not that my idea was in any way original, I hasten to add).

I feel reassured to have discovered fellow Dickens-haters and slightly confused as to how anyone can number George Eliot amongst their favourite writers - no offence, Nuneaton, but studying Silas Marner twice in two years kind of killed her for me. Apparently Middlemarch is better - I shall soon be able to confirm this!

I have been musing on the best way to do this without killing the enjoyment of reading for the next year or so - I love reading, and find that it is the best way I have of switching off from work, retreating into my own world, and refreshing my mind, but I do tend to struggle when I know I _have_ to finish a book. So, I think multi-tasking is the way to go...if I always have two books on the go (probably Shakespeare and A. N. Other) there will be a sense of respite. It might sound odd, but I think it will work for me!

So, Grapes of Wrath so far. I have to say, it hasn't instantly grabbed me, but I perhaps haven't given it a fair shot as I've mainly given it 10 minutes at a time before falling asleep. Evocative descriptions of scenery, definitely - I can see the scenes clearly - but nothing has really happened yet. One list-reader said this was her favourite book of the 100 - high praise! - so I'm sure it will pick up - more to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment