Tuesday 6 April 2010

Lord of the Rings #1

I suspect this won't be the last time I write about Lord of the Rings.

So, the uninitiated among you may believe that there are three books in the Lord of the Rings series. If you were a true fan, you would realise that there are in fact 6 books, plus an appendix. I can't help but feel that the publisher chose to present them in this way because there are 7 letters in Tolkien...one for each spine in the box set.

I'm currently about half way through the second book, which means that the ring has set out and is now on its way south. Or, alternatively, about a quarter of the way through in total (I'm not planning to read the appendix!).

I have always resolutely avoided LOTR - haven't seen the films, had no interest at all in the books. The Hobbit as an hors d'oeuvre didn't exactly whet my appetite either, and I approached this box set with trepidation, reluctance, and chiefly a desire to get them ticked off the list. Please don't judge me but (whispers) I am actually enjoying them so far. Shhhhhhhhhhh.

The story is much more gripping when there's action going on - I found myself skim-reading at the beginning of book two, when there was feasting, re-capping, songs and tales of times past. However, once the quest is ongoing...I struggled to put it down.

I have to say, though, and I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this, that I'd never realised how heavily the Harry Potter books draw from the concepts in LOTR. Dementors? Surely based on the Black Riders. The name of an evil that cannot be spoken lest the attention of that evil be drawn to you? And don't get me started on the Gandalf/Dumbledore parallels. It may be unfair to comment on the Gandalf/Dumbledore similarities, and I don't mean just the use of a wizard - more the figure who is pivotal to the story, and has knowledge and power beyond that of the rest of the characters, but has frailties and weaknesses too. I feel slightly disappointed in J K Rowling - perhaps I should have read LOTR first!

More thoughts will, I'm sure, follow, when I've finished reading it...

No comments:

Post a Comment